Too Cool for School

The most common question a high school senior will hear is worded along the lines of “Where do you want to go to college?” And to that, I have a most uncommon answer. Before I delve into my response, let me explain the situation which I find myself in.

While I might be the oldest sibling, I’ve been the youngest in my grade since I was six years old. Logically speaking, it was a sensible decision to move me up in my first-second split class, since I had learned reading and basic computations in preschool. Kindergarten had been pointless; I spent spelling lessons daydreaming while my classmates learned the difference between “cat” and “hat.” When my parents presented the idea to skip a grade as an exciting “opportunity” to do more challenging work — and a chance to hang out with the big kids — I agreed to the biggest challenge of my humble six years.

When you can still count the years of your existence on your fingers and toes, 365 days seems like an eternity. Initially, I resented those days that were stolen from me; at a time when conformity was of utmost priority, I despised being different. However, I came to realize the positives: I was spared years of academic boredom, and was instead presented with challenges in the classroom that fostered a desire to learn and excel. Skipping a year bolstered my intellectual confidence among older peers; I did not waver from entering an advanced sophomore class as a freshman, nor collaborating with seniors as a junior.

In the beginning of senior year, as I looked towards my future, college loomed ahead, but I wasn’t sold. Since I am a full year younger than my peers, I would not turn 18 until my freshman year was almost over. Skipping a grade blessed me with an extra 365 days of youth, and I did not want to throw them away into college, an institution that will exist indefinitely. Consequently, I made the decision to pursue a different educational path from the majority of my peers. In response to the question initially posed, my answer is that I am still committed to attending a four-year university, however I have chosen to take a “gap year” first.

This answer does not spark the standard follow-up questions. Instead of inquiries about my major and future job, I am faced with one word: “Why?” I reply with a brief summary of the explanation above, in attempt to make them understand my reasoning. I acknowledge that the path I’ve chosen is abnormal and unconventional, considered by some to be nonsensical; nonetheless I am committed to the plan set into motion by the decision made ten years ago.