Belen+Altamirano

Photo by Grace Yarrow

Belen Altamirano

Belen Altamirano has committed to UC Berkeley and will be studying biochemistry and molecular biology and is considering in French. Altamirano plans on following UC Berkeley’s pre-medical education path and pursuing a career in neurosurgery.

Altamirano has also enjoyed playing sports for the school, playing on the badminton team for four years and experimenting with tennis for a year.

Altamirano has also been an active member of the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán or M.E.Ch.A club — a student organization that encourages Latino students to pursue higher education and to fight for Latino students’ rights while celebrating their culture and history.

Altamirano joined in 2015 and eventually became an integral part of the club, from event planner to secretary to co-president. Altamirano has also been the president of the National Honors Society club, a nationwide organization for high school students that demonstrate excellence in scholarship, leadership, service, and character.

Altamirano also volunteers at KidsCare, helping kids at Miwok Elementary School with their homework after school. She also works with English Language Development students, helping translate their homework and aid them with different subjects.

“Have as much fun as you can — whether it’s hanging out with friends or partying — because honestly, that’s what kept me from burning out. Have fun but also know your priorities, plan accordingly, and keep your grades up.”

The Casa Revista • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in