The Misconceptions of Planning a School Event

Seniors+from+the+ASB+Student+Leadership+class+performing+on+their+homecoming+float+during+the+parade.+

Photo by Andrew Gotshall

Seniors from the ASB Student Leadership class performing on their homecoming float during the parade.

Charlie Sabella, Reporter

Photo by Charlie Sabella
Juniors enjoying the 2019 Color By Class dance.

When students attend a dance or rally, the first thing that typically comes to mind is either previous experiences or a picture someone else had painted in your head. But does everyone understand all the work it takes to get to that point? ASB Student Leadership is a class of 64 student leaders that impact the way school events are planned. Once broken up into groups, each group receives a task, an event to execute, and the steps to get there. From that point, each class they meet to make progress using many different processes to get to the final product. These include confirming with the administration to make sure the prior calendar event is still set for the time and place it was initially intended for.

Sometimes this can also pertain, a series of changed bell schedules to accommodate in the event into the school day in such a way that there will be the same amount of instructional minutes as a typical day would have. Once this is confirmed, the committee spends the next two to three classes planning, whether it be the themes, the plan of attack, or how the student body will perceive the event. Once these ideas have been finalized and the adjustments have been processed, they are able to visualize a full event mockup with further details. This mockup will return to the administration for approval. This mockup will review how we intend for the event to go and set additional rules and regulations, so the event runs smoothly.

The leadership class then makes more adjustments to ensure that the propositions of the administration and what they planned initially will match to a similar ending product, without changing the overall idea or reason to have the event. From here, they use all the planning resources, including the initial plans, administration input, and the ASB class input to construct a project. This can be setting up and cleaning up an event, finalizing the fundraiser, and so on. For example, during GQ, the ASB class spends all day setting up and changing the venue to be visually appealing to the chosen theme for the show. On the day of the event, they use everything they had put together to make the event a reality.