The Impacts of Casa Grande’s Student Advisory Council

A recently formed council of students and staff has begun settling civic issues on the Casa Grande campus.

Annabelle Stuelpe, Reporter

Recently at Casa Grande High School, a council has formed once more for its second year, a council aimed at settling civic issues on campus. The Student Advisory Council invites students as well as staff to discuss these various civic issues from many points of view, where they then formulate solutions. The council meets every other week on Wednesdays in the Big House Library.

The Student Advisory Council first met on Wednesday, November twentieth. Since then, they have met bi-weekly, and their impact involving civics on campus has gradually begun. A group aimed at creating a more aware, civically engaged environment on campus is attended to by both students and staff, including Erin Simmeth–an English and world language teacher at Casa Grande High School–who has been heavily involved in the club both this year as well as last year. Todd Siders, a Casa Grande history teacher, Dr. Ostermann, and other Casa Grande High School staff members are involved as well. 

Julia Dietlin, 11, says that civil discourse and how students treat each other on campus is the main focal point of discussions. “The group is small, but everyone is welcome to join [the council],” said Dietlin.

The initial idea of the council was to provide a place for students to discuss issues important to them and the world around them, which are affecting the larger community. The staff, as well as students, also have the ability to surface their ideas aimed towards improvement through the council.

Todd Siders stated, “I think it is too early to know it’s ultimate shape, but the more students can participate, the larger their voice, the more powerful the council.”

Since the first meeting of the Student Advisory Council, there have been two meetings in total. Almost all of the Casa Grande administration attended the first meeting, signifying the staff’s awareness of problems that are arising and what courses of action are best to take. The council is mostly student-led. It has yet to make significant changes this year as a result of just beginning, however, they intend to in the near future. Students who have yet to attend a meeting but still want to be involved with the club are welcome, as they are hoping for the council to grow in attendance by the student body.

The Student Advisory Council’s actions have the potential to create a more inclusive and civil culture on campus as well as off-campus.