Bumper Cars

Bumper+Cars

Photo by Ni

Taylor Girard, Reporter

Getting a driver’s license, driving to school, and getting their own space in the student parking lot is an exciting time for many students. However, the power to drive is one that comes with great responsibility: one that not all students take completely seriously. Senior Sophia Easley shares her frustrating experience with bad drivers in the parking lot.

“[It is annoying] when you are trying to get out of a row and 12 people in the other row don’t let you in. If you know you’re not a good driver, park in the back. If you have trouble parking, make sure there are no cars around. Just be respectful of others and let people in when they want to get in” said Easley.

[People often aren’t] paying attention when they walk. I see a lot of people on their phones. When I drive I try not to hit anyone, but they are unpredictable when they walk with their faces glued to their phones”

— Emma Baswell, 12

Drivers not only face frustration with other drivers but with pedestrians in the parking lot as well. Senior Emma Baswell explains what she believes many people disregard in the parking lot.

“[People often aren’t] paying attention when they walk. I see a lot of people on their phones. When I drive I try not to hit anyone, but they are unpredictable when they walk with their faces glued to their phones,” says Baswell. 

While currently, the accidents that have occurred in the parking lot have not resulted in serious damage or injury, there is concern that if rules or attitudes are not changed, something serious could happen. Teacher Todd Creighton, who had a student ram into his truck on campus before, describes his concerns about safety in the student parking lot.

“I’m really shocked that there hasn’t been someone seriously hurt in an accident either at lunch or at the end of the day,” said Creighton

Photo by Nic

Creighton also gave his views of what may need to happen on an administrative level in order to reduce the risk of accidents.

“We may get to the point where parking is such a privilege that if you do anything or are written up for speeding or violations that you lose your ability to park on campus for a certain amount of time. When that starts happening, students realize they have to park six or seven blocks away. Then they’ll realize how serious it is and how much they have to pay attention while driving,” said Creighton.

Creighton suggested some other administrative actions that could help prevent accidents on campus.

“I think a big deal that would certainly help would be having more eyes out there, whether administrators or campus supervisors or designated ASB people to just keep an eye on the parking lot as students are coming in and going out. Too often students are going much faster than they should, not paying attention, and backing up when they shouldn’t be backing up. They are in a rush to get out of the parking lot and are not really being aware of what others are doing,” said Creighton.

With the often impatient and inattentive nature of high school students, the student parking lot can pose a danger to many students. Without a change in the parking permit rules, increase of administrative oversight during break times, or an increase of awareness from students, the fender-benders and close calls or potentially more severe accidents will only continue.