In With the New

In With the New

Photo by Katie Marr

Furniture has changed and technology has advanced. Chairs without wheels are a thing of the past, and soon carrying history textbooks will become history itself. In this modern era of technology, with new advancements made constantly, the schools are working hard to stay up to date. Humans are constantly interacting, and this atmosphere of connectivity continues to be introduced into the world of education. The new furniture and the iPads were installed with this mindset. The furniture is designed to be ideal for group work, with tables and chairs that can easily be rolled around to make collaboration uncomplicated and efficient. The iPads will allow students to connect and work with each other over Internet, as well as providing an added sense of interactivity with the curriculum.

With the arrival of the new furniture and a changed setting, comes mixed emotions.

“The  new   furniture   is   much   more   comfortable   than   the old, but in some of the desks, your knees hit the bar,” said freshman Zaine Khan

Teachers share similar sentiments as well. Jon Simon appreciates the benefits of the new furniture.

“It’s  beneficial to be able to have some flexibility with pairs, which I like to have my students  seated in anyway. Once the tables get wheels, we will be able to swivel them around and do groups.”

However, Simon also notes that while the tables are optimum for group work, not all work can be done in groups.

“The furniture is a  little bit less flexible than individual desks since individual desks can be put into more configurations than two person tables. Very rarely do I separate my students, but now I have to have multiple versions of tests since my students are sitting in pairs,” said Simon.

Paula Biancalana recognizes the potential behavior problems that can arise from the new furniture.

“I don’t  mind it,  but  it’s  hard  to   explain    to    some   students, especially seniors, why it’s not okay to play bumper chairs,” said Biancalana.

Some teachers love it, while others are apprehensive. Biancalana recognizes the differences, but thinks that new is better.

“For some students, it’s working really well and some teachers seem to not have a problem at all. It takes getting used to, but it’s clean, it’s nice, it’s new.  I’d rather have nice and new than old and chewed on,” said Biancalana.

Along   with  the new furniture comes a new classroom accessory, the iPad. Senior Erik Frisch says he is willing to upgrade his “old-school” ways for the iPad, as long as it enhances the classroom experience.

“I am willing to adapt if it’s done right. If it’s something that will help us be faster, more productive, more focused, then absolutely,” said Frisch.

If one thing is evident, it’s that times are changing, and the way that students are being educated is advancing now more than ever. Whether this is a good thing or bad thing seems to be uncertain, but no matter what happens, senior Kyle Tyrell-Smith looks towards a positive future.

“Yeah, I’m excited. I’ll take lots of selfies,” said Tyrell-Smith.