Homefield Advantage?

Elation spread throughout the campus in June of 2015 as it was confirmed that the school would begin to replace the pitiful dirt track and grass football field with a brand new all-weather track and turf field. However, as the school year approached, these hopes dissipated with the news that the track and field project would undergo a major delay. It is because the new turf will consist of cork instead of the traditional rubber, the completion of the field will be postponed until late December or early January.

Along with many sports teams affected by this situation, the football team’s players, cheerleaders, and fans must adapt to the new season without a home field. Senior Ryan Lowe explains the disappointment felt by many football players, as the game serves as a right of passage for seniors.

“It sucks because we won’t have a homecoming game at home, which I’ve been looking forward to since I was a freshman, and now it’s not happening,” said Lowe.

However, it’s not only the football players who are disappointed, but it is the cheerleaders as well. Junior Scarlett Echeverria gives a cheerleader’s perspective on the matter.

“It’s kind of sad that they decided last minute to get a new field; they should’ve researched the material before,” said Echeverria.

Although students are dismayed by the field’s delay, the football team is also worried about fan attendance. Because fans must travel considerable distances to partake in cheering on the players, some students predict that football games will see much smaller crowds.

“Unless underclassmen have older friends who can give them rides, it will be harder for them to attend games,” said Junior Shelby Althuizen.

Senior Jimmy Burgraff agreed with this notion; however, he still hopes to be present at each game.

“It’s definitely going to impact the outcome of the fans showing up, but not me personally. My close friends and I will definitely still be attending the games” said Burgraff.

Not only will a low attendance rate upset loyal fans, but it may also have negative effects on the team’s energy.

“The crowd definitely affects me in a good way; it gets me hyped” said Lowe.

Despite the possibility of a small crowd, the cheerleaders and fans strive to promote positive vibes and excitement to benefit the athletes.

“I’ll probably be more dedicated this year going to games, since the guys put in so much work and practiced all summer and I know that they like a big crowd,” said Althuizen.

Undeterred by the varying  home fields, the cheerleaders don’t believe their performances will suffer.

“I don’t think the differing locations are going to affect our performances,” said Echeverria.

Similarly, the football players are confident in a successful season, despite these obstacles.

“We never had a home this season, so home is wherever we play,” said Lowe.