Big Goals for the Season

The 2015 Lady Gauchos are poised to become another girls soccer powerhouse, aided by the arrival of seven freshman. These newcomers to the varsity team are ready to contribute to a another run for the NBL title. While many speculate this will be a rebuilding year, with the graduation of seven seasoned players, the team is confident that they will make it far in NBL.

“We’re excited for the season because this group of girls has a special chemistry out on the field, and a good work ethic,” said junior Cassandra Bailon.

It’s true that the Lady Gauchos are generally a playoff team, but the campus doesn’t always take note of that fact. This year, the team hopes that the current attendance rate will continue; dozens of students showed up to the annual cross-town rivalry game, gathering to witness the 5-0 win over Petaluma High. 

Aside from the ultimate goal of winning an NBL title, the main focus of this year will be finding the team chemistry, since half of the girls have never played together. Not only does their inexperience with the each other factor in, but their size difference as well.

“It will be difficult having a large amount of underclassmen because they aren’t used to the difference between JV and Varsity. Varsity is a lot more physical and the level we play at is much higher,” said Bailon.

Freshman Jocelyne Garcia acknowledged the physicality of high school play, but also added her belief that each player can be a game changer no matter what size.

“I think your playing ability doesn’t depend on your size, but how you play,” said Garcia.

One definite obstacle this year for the Lady Gauchos will be the lack of homefield advantage. With renovations being done on the field, they will be forced to play on the practice field on campus and occasionally the East Washington turf fields. Several Lady Gauchos weighed in on how they felt the field would aid or hinder play.

“I don’t think the field should affect us that much; the practice field has some potholes, but at the end of the day it’s just grass,” said Garcia.

“The lack of a real field hasn’t been much of an issue so far,” said Bailon.

Senior captain Hailey Iribarne agreed, and expressed enthusiasm towards the new field in general.

“I am disappointed that we don’t have a home field this year since it is my senior year. But even though I won’t be able to play on the new field, I am excited that the school is finally getting it,” said Iribarne.