Honors World History

It is freshman year in which students get to decide what type of world history they will take. I mainly took honors classes, so I chose to take the Honors World History taught by Todd Siders.

Emma Di Coio, Reporter

It is freshman year in which students get to decide what type of world history they will take. I mainly took honors classes, so I chose to take the Honors World History taught by Todd Siders. At first, it wasn’t necessarily because of anything other than challenging myself by taking more challenging classes. Still, after a few weeks, I enjoyed what it meant to be taking honors classes. I doubt I would have had the same views or essential experiences that make up who I am today if I had chosen regular courses. 

Honors World History is one class I am grateful to have taken and would fully-heartedly recommend to any student. Todd, the teacher, has imbued the class with a certain intellectual freedom that I have experienced in no other class and hope to share again. The course structure is not for the faint of heart as it demands learning almost all the material outside of class. Instead of frequent lectures, classes are spent reading primary sources about philosophy. Throughout the year, the class follows the textbook, and we learn more about the philosophies erupting from each period and learn why these strains of thought came into being. 

Overall the class produces skills that help with other classes. As the structure demands discussion, students who are uncomfortable talking in public get used to it very quickly. Such as my case. Before that class, I found it much more difficult to participate in a class or speak. Now, I feel that through the consistent seminars, I have become comfortable with participating. 

Another skill I picked up from this class is quick critical thinking. In class, we read the documents and then had a Socratic seminar in which we had to participate at least once to get credit. Usually, that meant connecting the document to another idea or using it as proof for something on the spot without much prep time. This skill, I feel, has made it easier for me to find connections faster and make it easier for me to figure out what to say on the spot. I think this skill will be necessary for future seminars or, in general, participating in class. This honors course is demanding but worth the work as it only opened my eyes to more interests and learning endeavors. I have always been interested in philosophy and political science, but this course fed that curiosity and has molded my plans to learn more about these subjects in college. 

Overall many of the classes I have chosen to take have had experiences that make up who I am today. I feel it has made me appreciate the education I have gotten here at our school. These classes have made my love of learning only grow as I hope to learn even more about philosophy and political science while in college. The teachers and community here are like no other, and I will be sure to miss many of the people here after I graduate. 

I feel I have progressively developed into the person I am today with the help of many classes, teachers and friends. While there hasn’t been clear cut periods in which I noticed change, experiences have slowly matured me into the person I am today.