Star Senior: Suparna Kompalli

Perhaps no one knows the sensation of nostalgic freedom better than the Class of 2021’s Valedictorian, Suparna Kompalli. Throughout her high school journey, she has taken on the most strenuous of academic and athletic rigors and emerged triumphantly.

Will Hite, Reporter

For many seniors, the relief of finally submitting their last assignments before high school ends for good is a feeling embraced with open arms. All of the hard work of the past four years suddenly culminates with an overwhelming sense of freedom and often nostalgia. Perhaps no one knows this sensation better than the Class of 2021’s Valedictorian, Suparna Kompalli; throughout her high school journey, she has taken on the most strenuous of academic and athletic rigors and emerged triumphantly. Kompalli shares her thoughts on her experience:

“My favorite part of high school has definitely been the time I spent interacting with my peers, whether that be in class, through sports, or in clubs. I have loved getting to know so many people over these last 4 years. Everyone has such unique experiences and has given me a different perspective on the world around me,” Kompalli said.

Kompalli’s connection to her peers has been a strong motivator in her continued academic and athletic success. As a varsity member and captain of the girls’ tennis team, she learned the importance of having a supportive group around her at all times. And though our school provided much of the stimulation to achieve, Kompalli recognizes that her roots in academic success lie beyond the classroom.

I believe it takes a genuine interest in what you are studying to actually learn”

— Suparna Kompalli

“I have always been academically inclined, even as a child. I loved being at school and learning about a variety of topics,” said Kompalli. “I attribute a lot of my academic success to my parents. They taught me the importance of being educated and helped me develop my interest in learning.”

Even with an innate passion for academics, Kompalli found that her educational experience in high school was not quite what she expected:

“I used to think that to get a good education, all I needed to do was turn in my assignments. I have since realized that learning involves more than just memorization. I believe it takes a genuine interest in what you are studying to actually learn,” said Kompalli. But while Kompalli’s academic journey is undoubtedly different from the majority of our school population, she still encountered many of the same self-doubts and struggles which took a toll on her academic perspective. 

“After being ranked number one in sophomore year, there was a lot of pressure from people that I know to maintain that rank until senior year. But I had no control over what others did, only what classes I took. So I spent a long time worrying about what other people thought rather than being happy about my own accomplishments,” Kompalli said.

But as she reflects on her senior year accomplishments, as well as all of the school years before it, Kompalli expresses an overwhelming sense of pride, even in the face of what may seem to some as an impossible commitment.

“Being Valedictorian, I feel that all of my hard work has finally paid off. I spent a lot of my time studying and participating in extracurricular activities over the past four years. This didn’t leave me a lot of free time. I had to make sacrifices. There have been a lot of days that I’ve missed out on hanging out with my friends to study for tests the next day. But I don’t regret my choices. They taught me how to manage my time and find a good balance between my school and social life,” said Kompalli.

Ultimately, Kompalli’s journey has shaped her for the better. Though her commitments pressed her into a tight schedule, she is grateful to have undergone such a transformative period of exploring, stumbling, and succeeding. And with the rewarding sentiments of a job well done floating pleasantly about Kompalli’s final days atop and alongside the Class of 2021, Kompalli succinctly summarizes her four-year adventure:

“Irreplaceable,” she concluded.