Out of These 8 Iconic Holiday Movies and Remakes, Which Are the Most Popular Among the Students?


We all have a favorite holiday movie. Whether it’s the Grinch, Rudolph, or Home Alone all these classics have been remade a multitude of times. The question is which one is the best out of all them. We had some Casa Grande students answer a survey asking about which holiday remake or original is their favorite. 

1. The Grinch

‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ originally was a book written  by Dr. Suess published in 1957. Years later the first Dr. Suess’ ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ came out as an animated short film. Then came the live action and along came another animated version. 

The first movie came out in 1966 and was a classic short film. The next was in 2000 as a live action movie starring Jim Carrey giving us a deeper look into the grinch’s past and the issues in the town. In the newest remake in 2018 we get to see another version of the grinch’s past along with the troubles Cindy Lou Who faces in her home life having a single mom. 

Only 13% of the votes went to the original, 34.8% went to the newest addition, and being the most popular the live action was the most popular with 52.2% of the votes. 

2. The Christmas Carol

‘The Christmas Carol’ was originally a book written by Charles Dickens published in 1843. It now has been made into multiple movies ranging from Mickey Mouse to Muppets including the storyline. From my research there have been almost 20 movie recreations. 

For the survey we only listed four. The first was a live action from 1951, the second was a Walt Disney version with Mickey Mouse from 1983, the Muppets version from 1992, and then an animated version that starred Jim Carrey voicing Scrooge from 2009.

The majority of the votes went for the animated ‘Christmas Carol’ with 52.2%, Muppets and Mickey’s tied for second with getting 21.7% each, and for least voted was for the original with 4.4%.

3. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

‘Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer’ is a holiday classic. The first Rudolph was made in 1964 as ‘Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer’ and then was remade in 1998 as ‘Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer: The Movie.’

The original from 1964 got the most votes from the students reaching 78.3% while the one made in 1998 only got 21.7%. 

4.Home Alone

‘Home Alone’ has been made many times. There have been six ‘Home Alone’ movies created, ‘Home Alone’ from 1990, the ‘Home Alone 2: Lost In New York’ from 1992, then ‘Home Alone 3’ from 1997, then ‘Home Alone 4: Taking Back The House’ from 2002, then ‘Home Alone: The Holiday Heist’ from 2012, and finally the newest ‘Home Sweet Home Alone’ from 2021. 

Surprisingly only 2 of the movies listed got voted for. The original ‘Home Alone’ got the most votes taking 91.3% while the newest ‘Home Sweet Home Alone’ got the remaining 8.7%. 

5. Frozen

‘Frozen’ is a Disney movie and show series involving a princess with magical powers, her sister, an ice cutter, a reindeer, and a talking snowman. Even though it is based in summer it still gives that winter feel. Although the first ‘Frozen’ was made in 2013 compared to some of the classics, it quickly solidified itself as a winter classic for many families. 

The first in the series is ‘Frozen’ that was released in 2013, then the short film ‘Frozen Fever’ in 2015, then came ‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’ in 2017, then ‘Frozen 2’ in 2019, and finally ‘Olaf Presents’ in 2021. 

Majority of the votes went to the original film with 47.8%, 2nd place was the sequel with 30.4% of the votes, 13% went to ‘Olaf Presents’ a tv show with shorts, 8.7% voted for ‘Frozen Fever’ another short film, and no one voted for ‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’ another short film. 

6. The Santa Clause

‘The Santa Clause’ series is a tri movie series about a man that puts on a Santa suit and then becomes Santa Claus. The first is ‘The Santa Clause’ made in 1994, then the second ‘The Santa Clause 2’ made in 2002, and the last ‘The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause’ made in 2006.

‘The Santa Clause’ got the most votes with 66.7%, the sequel got second with 22.2%, and the third got last with 11.1% of the votes. 

7. The Nativity Scene

The nativity scene is a well known image around Christmas especially people in the christianity religion. To help share this part of the Christmas holiday there have been a few holiday movies made about this part of the faith. Specifically ‘The Nativity Story’ made in 2006 and the newer animated kids movie ‘The Star’ explaining it in a fun movie. 

‘The Star’ is an animated children’s movie told mostly from the animals’ perspective of them trying to help the humans and be there when baby Jesus is born. ‘The Nativity Story’ is a live action movie that is about Mary and Joseph having baby Jesus. 

64.7% of the students that responded to the survey voted for ‘The Star’ and the other 35.3% voted for ‘The Nativity Story’. 

8. Krampus

We all have that one friend who loves scary movies so here we have a holiday movie that’s meant to give you the chills without the cold. The story of ‘Krampus’ is based on the legend involving the Christmas holiday. 

73.7% voted for the newer version, ‘Krampus’ over the one made prior, ‘Krampus: The Christmas Devil’ with it only having 26.3% of votes.