Gauchos Vote for Oscars Nominees

Photo by Dora@hongkong

“Oscar Award – Hyatt Regency Sha Tin” by dorahon is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.

The Academy Awards were held Sunday Mar. 12, 2023. It was a huge event that people all across the country watched to see who would win each category. 

In early February, after the nominations were released, Casa Grande students took a poll on who they thought would win in the categories of Best Animated Film, Best Supporting Actor and Actress, Best Actor and Actress, and Best Picture. 

For Best Animated Film, the Gauchos voted, and Puss In Boots: The Last Wish won in a landslide with 65.9% of the votes for that category. However, in the ceremony, the Oscar went to Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio which had 7.1% of the votes. 

In the category of Best Supporting Actor, the students’ votes went to Ke Huy Quan from Everything, Everywhere, All at Once with 65.3% of the votes. The Gauchos had made the correct guess, as the Oscar went to Ke Huy Quan.

Best Supporting Actress was another popular vote among Casa Grande students, as 69.2% of the votes went to Angela Bassett from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. At the Oscars, the award went to Jamie Lee Curtis from Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, who had 12.8% of the Gauchos votes. 

For Best Actor, Austin Butler from Elvis held the most votes with 66.7% of the students voting for him to win. At the Academy Awards, Brendan Fraser received the Oscar for his role in The Whale with 22.7% of the students voting for him. 

In the category of Best Actress, Michelle Yeoh from Everything, Everywhere, All at Once was the most popular with 48.6% of the students voting for her. The Gauchos guessed correctly as Michelle Yeoh took home the Academy Award for her work. 

One of the most popular categories in the poll was Best Picture. It was a close race, but in the end the Gauchos voted for Avatar: The Way Of The Water with 29.9% of the votes. At the Oscars, the winner was none other than Everything, Everywhere, All at Once with 21.8% of the Gauchos votes. 

Even if they didn’t win an Oscar, these actors and movies are still being recognized for their accomplishments by being nominated for an Academy Award, and that shows that they deserve the recognition for their hard work.