The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

Casa Grande’s Key Club

Here at Casa Grande High School, there are a variety of clubs for many different interests. One of these clubs is the Key Club, one of the longest-running and best-known clubs on campus, which is dedicated to service and volunteering in the community. Established in 1998 and sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Petaluma, this international service organization for high school students has been on campus for 25 years. The first-ever Key Club was initiated at Sacramento High School and has spread to many more schools since then.

Under the guidance of Key Club’s passionate advisor, Francesa Smith, students are able to learn more and work with their community on many different programs and events. One of the unique features of Key Club is the variety of volunteer opportunities. Students are offered fun ways to give back to their community; for example, during the month of February, students created Valentine’s cards for senior citizens. Students can also volunteer with other organizations such as Rebuilding Together, Una Vida, and the Boys and Girls Club. Programs that Key Club members have worked on are river and park clean-ups, community parades, staff rest stops for fundraisers, and food banks. 

Key Club meetings are held during lunch in room R-9, run by presidents Taylor Eaton and Lauren Clark. From Key Club’s advisor, Francesca Smith it was said, “As a student-led organization, Key Club’s goal is to encourage leadership through serving others.” The Key Club staff works diligently to inform members of upcoming volunteer opportunities. As senior co-president Lauren Clark puts it, “Key Club is a great way for teenagers to get engaged in the community. Many teenagers think that most volunteer opportunities have an age requirement that they don’t meet. Our job is to find organizations and events that allow teens to help out, and then we broadcast the information to our members.”

Photo Credits: Lizzie Maldonado

Key Club can also teach students many interpersonal skills that can last a lifetime. Something special senior co-president Taylor Eaton has said was, “I’m grateful to have been a part of a club through high school and now leading it as co-president, that has diversified my skills, with each volunteer opportunity improving my communication and leadership skills, and brought me closer with my community.” So, if you are interested in helping your community and becoming more involved, consider joining Key Club!