The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Fashion Yea’s and Nay’s of 2023

I think we can all agree that with each new year comes a wide variety of trends, both good and bad. In 2016 it was the mustache and in 2023 it’s bows. I’m here to give my honest opinion on some of 2023’s most popular fashion trends.

1. Platform UGGs: Platform shoes were all the rage in 2023, and UGG capitalized on this trend. Platform UGGs combined the comfort and warmth of the classic UGG boots with a chunky sole that added height and a fashion-forward edge to any outfit. These boots became a popular go-to for those who wanted to stay cozy while making a statement. Whether you paired them with jeans, leggings, or even dresses, platform Uggs added a trendy touch to your winter wardrobe. However, I do not like them. Don’t get me wrong, I love my UGG slippers, Tasman’s, and boots, but these platforms are getting way out of control. They just look too similar to horse hooves for me to actually want to buy them.
Photo By UGG
  1. Birkenstock Clogs: Birkenstock clogs were another popular shoe style in 2023. These slip-on shoes featured the signature Birkenstock footbed, providing excellent support and cushioning. With their natural materials and timeless design, Birkenstock clogs became a staple for those seeking both fashion and comfort. To me though, they look like Flint Lockwood’s shoes from “Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.”

Photo By Lauren Ellis

1. Maxi Denim Skirts: I have mixed feelings about maxi denim skirts making a comeback in 2023. Yes, they do bring a touch of bohemian chic to fashion, but at the same time I think I wore a floor length denim skirt in the 5th grade on my way to horseback riding camp. I think it truly depends on the event/setting you wear the skirt in. These long skirts were often paired with flowy blouses, crop tops, or tucked-in graphic tees for a laid-back yet fashionable look that I actually appreciate. So I guess what I’m saying is that I will not be complaining if we see maxi denim skirts continue to gain popularity in 2024.

1. Chunky Makeup Headbands: Chunky makeup headbands were a popular accessory in 2023, adding an ease to everyone’s skincare routine…or so you would think. These headbands featured vibrant colors and sometimes even embellishments like pearls or rhinestones. I caved into this trend and actually bought one, but I was very disappointed. When doing my skincare routine the headband would slide off of my face and pieces of my hair would escape from its band. However, they were a fun and popular way to make putting on makeup or taking it off and keeping your hair out of your face a little more unique. I think some sort of headband is essential for anyone who enjoys doing their skincare or makeup, but I do not recommend these.
Photo By Amazon.com
  1. Coquette Bows: “Coquette” bows were a playful and feminine accessory that gained popularity in 2023. These bows were often made from satin or velvet and could be worn in various ways, such as in your hair, on a purse, or even as a brooch. Bows added a touch of whimsy and charm to any outfit. What turned me away from this fashion choice though, is how overused the bows became. Soon I saw them everywhere and honestly started to get annoyed by them. I think these bows are a very cute and classy touch to an outfit, but should be left in 2023.
Photo By @crzyprincessgf on Instagram
  1. Athleisure continued to be a popular trend, with comfortable and stylish activewear being worn not just for workouts but also for everyday wear. Mixing athletic pieces with more casual or dressy items became a go-to look for many, especially with the constant evolution of Kim Kardashian’s “Skims.” This brand was at the very top of many teenage girls’ Christmas lists this year. Making more comfortable athletic wear will always be a trend I am down to keep in the years to come, so this is a “yes” of 2023 for me. 

1. As for accessories, chunky and oversized jewelry, such as statement earrings and layered necklaces, were on-trend. Many people took a liking to Hailey Bieber’s look: light, neutral makeup with glamorous gold earrings. Personally, I love this trend and hope to see it in 2024.
Photo By Us Weekly

All in all, fashion trends are personable to every person on the planet. If you perhaps liked one of these trends that I didn’t like, that is perfectly normal. Remember that at the end of the day, you should wear and do what you want!