The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

Wonka Review: Young Willy Wonka

Photo by Yvette Quiroz Vega

A new film, Wonka, was released on December 15, 2023 as a PG-rated movie in theaters around the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada. It was filmed in the United Kingdom at the Warner bros studio and premiered in London at a festival. The main character is Wonka and he is an inventor of a special kind of chocolate. He is considered a magician with candy. In this movie casting, Timothee Chalamet plays Wonka as an extraordinary and mysterious chocolatier. 

Wonka’s goal in this film is to open up a chocolate factory. His best friend (Noodle), helps him defeat the greedy villains while the city is corrupt, so he can open up the chocolate factory that he always wished for. The villains of the movie are the chief police (Keegan-Michael Key) and the three head people of the town, Slugworth (Paterson Joseph), Prodnose (Matt Lucas), and Fickelgruber (Mathew Baynton), who try to poison Wonka’s chocolate to turn the people against him. Wonka is also challenged by an Oompa-Loompa (Hugh Grant), who always steals his chocolate. But eventually Wonka accomplishes his mission to open up a chocolate factory. 

In this film, there were also many musical scenes. The performances with costumes and the choreography were as unique and whimsical as the plot of the film. I was surprised how many songs were performed, but it made the movie much better. The scene where the first song was performed (Pure Imagination) was good because of the singing and props that were used. However, as the movie continued progressing, more and more songs were being performed until it eventually just became too much singing.

Even though I rarely watch musicals, Wonka is definitely one of my favorite movies in this genre. This film brings a lot of delight and amusement. The Wonka movie is still showing in theaters and is one of the most popular musical films out right now. For those who enjoy musicals and fantasies, this movie is a great watch!

The starring cast is Timothee Chalamet (Willy Wonka), Calah Lane (Noodle), Keegan-Michael Key (Chief of Police), Paterson Joseph (Slugworth), Matt Lucas (Prodnose), Mathew Baynton (Fickelgruber) and Hugh Grant (Oompa-Loompa). The Wonka movie was nominated for a BAFTA (British Academy Film awards), with the movie’s gross worldwide earnings currently sitting at $532 million.