The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

Exploring the legacy of Charles Shultz-The Snoopy Museum

Photo by Lucy Premro

The Charles Schultz Museum in Santa Rosa—which many know as the Snoopy Museum—is a popular local and tourist attraction for those who come to Sonoma County. Recently announced as USA Today’s fourth-best pop museum in the country,  the property includes a museum, ice rink, warm puppy cafe, and gift shop. It’s a great place to create new experiences with friends and family or to reminisce about old memories with others. 

Shultz opened the Snoopy Ice Rink in 1969, which was designed by his wife Jean Shultz. The idea for the full museum however came in 1997. After 3 years, architect Yoshiteru Otani was able to make that dream a reality with the museum having its grand opening in 2002. According to the official website, Charles and Jean Schulz agreed that Otani could bring an element of artistic whimsy to a museum that would balance and complement the comic artwork”.

Photo by Lucy Premro

The museum has had many different exhibitions including “It’s Time for School Charlie Brown” and “Peanuts Evolution”. The Board of Directors rotates through different themes so they correlate with current topics. For example, in 2021, they offered an evolution of the famous Lucy character during Women’s History Month. More recently, the museum celebrated over 50 years of the Snoopy and NASA relationship. 

The museum offers many different attractions and interactive activities for all ages. When entering, visitors are guided toward a theater that shows different animated films of the Peanuts characters. Afterward, visitors can find seasonal attractions on the first floor. Upstairs, the Shultz family was able to turn a room in the museum into a replica of Charles Shultz’s office, including his drawing table, desk, an assortment of books on the original shelves, and photos that show special memories to the family.

Student Patia Curtis, who has been to the Snoopy Museum several times, said, “My favorite part is walking down the stairs and enjoying the different artwork laid out.” The many pieces displayed are either from the Peanuts comic strips or even original doodles that have been made by Shultz

Photo by Lucy Premro

himself. There is plenty of original art to see for anyone interested in Shultz’s artistic process.

Jean and Charles Shultz wanted to make the museum a happy and welcoming place for all, so they also included an activity room in the museum where kids and adults could color and make an assortment of different crafts. If you are looking for a fun and relaxing day, you can expect to walk in with a smile and leave with one too.