The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

TrainTown Review: Sonoma’s Timeless Railroad Wonderland

TrainTown Review: Sonomas Timeless Railroad Wonderland
Photo by @sonomatraintown Instragram

TrainTown is a locally well-known attraction located in Sonoma. It is a cute, local destination for young children and families centered around trains, as its name suggests. There is a small train line that takes you to the petting zoo where you can see some farm animals. According to its website, TrainTown was founded in 1958 by Stanley L. Frank of Oakland. On the TrainTown website, critiques say, “Mr. Frank’s technical and modeling genius included a deep knowledge of scenery compressing, Japanese landscaping techniques, which makes TrainTown seem much larger than its 10-acre utopian area.”

TrainTown is a miniature railroad wonderland inspired by Mr. Frank’s childhood fascination with trains. What began as a small layout has since evolved into a sprawling amusement park featuring intricately crafted landscapes and an array of train models. TrainTown’s history intertwines with Sonoma’s history as well, reflecting the rail transportation in the development of the region. Visitors can embark on nostalgic train rides through scenic routes, passing re-created landmarks and vibrant gardens.

Many children find the place amazing because of the real-life trains displayed at the entrance. The rides at the train station have been proven very fun and exciting. Furthermore, the nature aspect of the park is welcoming and inviting with the park having many redwood trees and even selling redwood saplings in their gift shop and many types of flowers native to Sonoma County. Growing up in Sonoma County, I highly recommend taking a visit when you have an hour or two.

As a kid, I remember going to TrainTown often. At the time, I didn’t know or care that it was a 10-acre location with many years of interesting history to explore. I just knew that it was a fun adventure. I would ride the trains with my friends, pet the farm animals, and go on the merry-go-round. After TrainTown, we would always head over to the Sonoma Plaza for lunch and spend some time at the pond.

If you have small cousins or siblings, I would recommend visiting. It is $9.75 per person. In my opinion, it’s a fun couple of hours. TrainTown is an exquisite amusement park filled with the smiles of many happy families. The trip is definitely worth the entrance fee.