Love Deconstructed

April 1, 2016

Love, as the saying goes, is more than just a four-letter word, and it is the theme of this semester’s play. “Love Deconstructed” is a series of one-act plays that delve into the universal concept of love, whether it be platonic, familial, or romantic. Each of the seven plays were written and directed by students, and their topics range from abusive relationships to sibling rivalry to murder motivated by love. Junior Nayana Reaves talks about the one act she wrote.

“[My play is] about two sisters and a mom, and one of the sisters died in a car accident. Ever since the accident, the mom has been really distant and isolated: she doesn’t talk, she doesn’t do anything because she is so heartbroken. The younger sister is basically a typical teenage girl who blames the world for her problems,” said Reaves.

Reaves, like several other Advanced Acting students, got the opportunity to direct as well.

“Directing is ten times harder than acting — it’s not just a matter of memorizing your lines. You have to basically memorize both your actor’s lines and get all the stuff for your set. You have to make sure you have the right music and the right set changes and the right costumes and the right makeup,” said Reaves.

While certainly a challenge to write, direct, and act in various plays, Reaves notes that it gave her the opportunity to expand her interests in the drama field. High school students are rarely given the chance to have so much control over a school production, but the spring play allowed students to try their hand at a wider variety of positions.  Senior Karen Spencer discusses the transition of her work from paper to stage.

“I got really excited seeing [my play] and the actors. I think they’re doing an amazing job portraying the characters that I wrote. It’s just really exciting to see something that’s in your mind actually being portrayed for everyone else to see,” said Spencer.

Although most school plays are run by drama teacher  John Rustan, “Love Deconstructed” is completely student-run. Spencer shares her thoughts on the student involvement in the production of the play.

“It’s more personal and you get to put your story in someone else’s hands, so it’s cool to see how they see it. I think it’s cool because it’s not just Mr. Rustan going through the plays and making it his own, it’s ours,” said Spencer.

Reaves agrees with the benefits of student directing.

“I think it’s a lot better for students to direct; there’s less pressure,” said Reaves.

Although this is only the second year in which the spring play features students’ original works, it is a tradition that is giving students a chance to shine, whether it be on paper, behind the scenes, or onstage.