Topsy’s Kitchen

Daniel Lubliner, Reporter

With a warm and homey atmosphere, Topsy’s Kitchen in downtown Petaluma is a popular brunch location for many in Sonoma County. The smell of fresh beignets being fried wafts gently in from the kitchen to the tables; the interior is bathed in shades of pale yellow, in the form of yellow tablecloths, napkins, and chairs.

This friendly environment, in tandem with the promise of a delicious meal, draws local brunch-goers into the restaurant. Sophomore Ashlyn Steeves, a regular at Topsy’s, offers some insight into her typical trip to Topsy’s.

“When I go to Topsy’s, I normally order the chicken and waffles,” said Steeves. “I usually go to Topsy’s to get brunch with my friends, and it’s a really good brunch place.”

The breakfast menu includes a variety of American breakfast staples, as well as dishes that have roots in French, Mexican, and Creole culture. Most of these dishes can be prepared to align with vegan and gluten-free lifestyles as well.

Chilaquiles, a popular dish at Topsy’s, is made with crispy tortillas, baked with jalapeño ranchero sauce and jack cheese, and, finally, topped with organic, local scrambled eggs, avocado, Mexican crema, and queso fresco.

The croque madame, an open-faced sandwich of French origins, is made in the style of the classic French tartine and topped with bechamel sauce and Fontina cheese. The dish is brought together with an over-easy farm egg and served with salad greens.

Topsy’s New Orleans Style Beignets with Homemade Fresh Fruit Jam are by far one of the most well-known items on the menu. According to the menu, the beignets are “lightly dusted with confectioners sugar, their fluffy pockets ready to be spoon-filled with our fresh fruit jam and shared with smiles.”

Even more impressive, they can also be prepared to fit a vegan diet.     

The “kitchen sink,” a more stereotypically American dish, is also popular with customers. This dish is comprised of two organic farm eggs cooked “your way,” with applewood-smoked bacon or chicken-apple sausage, and your choice of buttermilk or berry pancakes.

Topsy’s Kitchen opens at 10:00 am and closes at 2:00 pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and opens at 8:00 am and closes at 2:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.