In Unity Until Triumph

The Petaluma Federation of Teachers and the Petaluma City Schools District have been going head to head as the teachers seek a fair contract. Following months of anticipation, the teachers’ efforts have paid off, and stirring conflicts between the district and the teachers’ union have finally been settled. Teachers’ union representative and science teacher, Todd Creighton, along with fellow representatives, has led the teachers towards the settlement of the contract. Creighton explains what the newly settled contract entails for the teachers.

“We have what is called a tentative agreement. So both sides of the district’s negotiating team and our negotiating team came upon an agreed settlement. The next step will be a ratification vote by the teachers which will occur on the seventeenth and eighteenth of October, for all the teachers in the district. If that passes, it will then go to the School Board who will then have to approve it as well. If both sides agree to the contract, the contract will become officially ratified,” said Creighton.

The clash between the district administration and teachers have been prolonged for over a year and a half. Myriad aspects, such as numerous details that have yet to be clearly written out, contribute to the extended conflict. Scot Wigert, an active member and representative of the teachers’ union and math teacher, elaborates on his viewpoint regarding why the negotiation process was prolonged and complicated.  

“Teachers — we are all in this together. And that’s what makes it challenging, is that you’ve got high school teachers, elementary school teachers, and middle school teachers,” said Wigert. “And they all sort of view their job differently, but what we get, we all get together. And it’s hard. It’s hard to get 400 people to agree.”

The resolution of the conflicts will undoubtedly have an effect on both teachers and students. Wigert also commented on how the settlement of the contract would potentially affect both sides.

“Being in a state of constant negotiation is very fatiguing. I think there are a lot of teachers who are tired, but I think this is important because this is the way that we get raises,” said Wigert. “And as far as students, I think that if this is approved, the teachers are going to be happier, and there will be a lot more energy because this does weigh on you heavily.”

Regarding the fairness of the contract, Creighton also expresses his point of view on what teachers expected to receive in the contract compared to what the contract has for them.

“Every contract negotiation is a give or take, and you always hope for the best and expect the worst in any kind of negotiation,” said Creighton. “I think that we settled for a fair settlement, both sides can come away saying we gave a little, we got a little. When that’s the case, I think it’s a fair contract. If one side feels like they got everything they wanted, then something’s not right. I think it was a fair settlement, and I think it’s one that the district could afford. I think it’s one that allows a teacher to feel good about the last year and a half, and that we can build on this and continue to move forward.”

Ultimately, this successful negotiation has contributed to the relief of the educators, parents, students and administration. The teachers’ determination has deemed to be rewarding, and their perseverance has loosened the tension for the Petaluma School District.