Band Camp Prepares Music Students for Year Ahead

The annual meeting of band students in preparation for the upcoming year began this week.

Photo by Aalyna Silva

From the depths of the band room, the sound of mostly-in-tune trumpets sounds throughout campus. Dust is cleaned off the wind section. Sweaty teenagers venture into the marching uniform closet, perhaps never to return.

From Aug. 6 to 9, the school’s band camp runs throughout the morning, allowing freshmen to settle into their new environment and learn the ins and outs of the music program. Band teacher Sean Millard comments on the goals of band camp.

“It’s a way to kind of dust off their musical skills and get back into the game,” Millard said. “We have incoming ninth graders, so it’s a way to get them acclimated into our program.”

Band newcomers and leadership gather together to prepare for the incoming school year. And although it’s hard work to march for hours on the football field under the hot August sun, Millard says the band leadership team allots some time for bonding through activities like spirit days.

“It’s a tradition, they do that every year to have fun with it. It’s one way the leaders have fun,” said Millard.

Emma Webb, who graduated from the school in 2017, enjoys returning to help Millard instruct the novice marchers and teach the flute section.

“Marching so far has been pretty good for most of the groups, they’re actually responding pretty well to like the leaders and everything. They’re doing what they’re told and they’re not complaining, so it’s like an ideal band camp.”

The band’s marching progress will be showcased during football games, and the Petaluma Veterans and Butter and Eggs Day Parades this coming year.