Black Student Union is Back

On August 29 through 31, students gathered around the OLE area to check out clubs, new and old, that the campus has to offer. Out of the old clubs, some returning are Casapella, Key Club, Interact, Drama Club, Art Club, and Debate Club. Along with those veteran clubs, a few new offerings are Computer Science Club, Uplift, Korean Culture Club, Meme Club, League of Legends Club, and French Club, in addition to the Black Student Union (BSU) and the Atomic Club. Senior Nayana Reaves, the president of BSU, shares why she started the club and her intentions.

“I decided that I want to make a change for senior year and to leave a mark. The school has gotten a lot more diverse than when I first starting going to school here. I think the club will make the campus more culturally diverse and aware. I think people don’t grasp what the Black Student Union actually is. Many think that it’s only black people, but it’s open to all races and more about unity and certain commonalities. People who don’t understand what BSU is can be considered ignorant but they don’t mean to be, so the club is just going to provide a safe and comfortable environment for minorities. They will be able to talk about how they feel or what they want to see as a whole. For the first meeting, we will introduce where there are issues and then ask what people want to get out of the club. We hope over the course of the year to try and get a more cultured class here at school, too. We want a class that gives people more culture and more culture awareness,” said Reaves.

The Black Student Union meets in the NMU on Fridays at lunch. Another club introduced this year was the Atomic Club. This club meets in I-4 every B-day Tuesday. The club president, freshman Suraj Rajan, explains what his club is offering and its goals.

“I was always interested in science and the field of science. I started this because it correlates with my interest. We are offering a basic need, which is participating in science fairs. This is something the school currently does not have. Our hope is to expand the club and become like AcDec, which is to start as a club and then eventually become a class.We started this club because we tried HOSA, but they don’t go to small science fairs and we really want to go to them and build up from that. Some say it may replace HOSA, eventually, but for now this is a way to go to competitions, win prizes, and showcase cool ideas and concepts,” said Rajan.