‘Footsteps to Freedom’ Visits Casa Grande High School

Photo by Nazia Quadir

Casa Grande had the opportunity to host the mobile museum from Footsteps to Freedom on Jan. 18 as a precursor to Black History Month and a valuable learning experience for all. The Underground Railroad Study Tour was open in the Casa Grande Library on the 18th, and at Petaluma High School the following day. 

The district wide event was promoted to strengthen empathy in the community, for our history and each other. Hardy Brown, chairman of the Black Voice Foundation and Footsteps to Freedom, presented to various classes who visited the library. The presentation, which included anecdotes and important historical recounts, was followed by a hands-on exploration of the artifacts Brown brought with the mobile exhibit.

Photo by Nazia Quadir

Brown’s presentation began with a reading of early American history — states like Virginia and the Carolinas had enforced laws that made it illegal to teach slaves to read. Brown told the story of Frederick Douglass, a notable abolitionist and former slave, who had experienced the consequences of these laws. Douglass’s former master’s wife had tried to teach him to read, but was punished by her husband, who claimed that if a slave learned to read, “it would forever unfit him to be a slave.” Brown explored the idea that literacy could be liberating, and focused on this achievement. Education was freedom, and paved the way for generations of African-American education. 

As part of the exhibit, Brown brought pictures, posters, and banners from HBCUs and universities that accepted inaugural, integrated classes of African-American students. Black colleges and universities are important in the United States’ history of education, often the first of their kind to be owned and operated by African-Americans. Schools like Howard University and Spelman College are renowned for not only their academic achievements, but their leadership in creating a collaborative and supportive community of Black students. 

Brown himself is an alumnus of Wilberforce University, named after the British abolitionist William Wilberforce. He gestured to the photos and banners, “Generations earlier, it was illegal for us to read. Now we graduate from universities and become professors,” referring to his daughter’s achievements at Spelman College and UC Riverside. Brown’s stories were inspiring, and illuminated the connection between Black history and achievement today.

Photo by Nazia Quadir

The extensive collection of artifacts Brown brought as part of the exhibit were especially impressive. Smithsonian-level preservation of original texts were essential in piecing together Black history in the United States. “Primary sources tell the story!” emphasized Brown. Collecting artifacts is central to Brown’s work, having collaborated with various donors and museums to grow his exhibit. The selection Brown brought, including real handcuffs used on slaves and original pieces of the Confederate flag, was chosen to raise awareness of the true horrors of slavery and the Confederate’s history. Brown also mentioned he chose education-specific artifacts like The Journal of Negro Education and early academic texts to connect with high school students by highlighting the achievements of Black American education. 

Students themselves can start piecing together their own history and heritage. Collecting artifacts was the heart of the Underground Railroad Study Tour, and Brown recommends students investigate on their own. “Start with family, asking around. It all starts from there. You have uncles and aunties, grandmas and grandads, who have generations of stuff just lying around.” Brown conversed with students after his presentation, with one-on-one attention to their questions and comments about Black history and education in the United States.

Brown emphasizes that educational experiences and tours like Footsteps to Freedom are necessary to build an understanding of our past and present. His ultimate purpose with his presentations is to “start a conversation, get people talking about historical empathy and walk in other people’s shoes.” To change history, Brown believes in starting small. Education, observation, and investigation are the beginning of larger change.

Black History Month begins on February 1st, and Casa Grande is striving to educate and build an inclusive community. Footsteps to Freedom was an enlightening and inspiring way to begin exploring history. Check out the Black Student Union’s events in the library with guest speakers starting Feb. 2!

Photo by Nazia Quadir