The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The 81st Golden Globes: A Night of Captivation and Controversy

Film and fashion took center stage at the Golden Globes this year, which were held on January 7. Hosted at the Beverly Hilton, the event was the kickstarter of award season in Hollywood, filled with glitz and glamor which was perfect for an evening for the biggest actors in the industry.

The Golden Globes are a televised event that honors excellence by artists in the entertainment industry, and has been held since 1944. This year, the awards ceremony marked the first without the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the group that created the Golden Globes. The HFPA was a nonprofit organization that consisted of photographers and journalists that reported on the U.S film industry for typically foreign media outlets. Following several controversies, including claims of sexual harassment and lack of black representation, the association disbanded.

On the red carpet, major fashion companies had the opportunity to showcase their designs on some of the top actors of this century. Hunter Schafer stunned in a Prada dress with sheer material that flowed behind her as she walked. Margot Robbie continued her Barbie promotion with a hot pink sequined Giorgio Armani gown accompanied by a long feather boa. Rosamund Pike arrived with a black headdress to match her black lace Dior gown, and Jennifer Aniston wore a classic strapless dress by Dolce and Gabbana.

Stand-up comedian and actor Jo Koy hosted the event and his opening monologue was the star of the evening for controversial reasons. Many of his jokes, including one poking fun at Taylor Swift’s relationship with Travis Kelce, received mixed reactions from those in attendance and those watching at home. The host was aware of this and tried to shake it off, saying “I got the gig 10 days ago! You want a perfect monologue?” Koy later apologized for his words, blaming the late notice and having no time to rehearse.

In the end, the main event of the show was the awards and winners. Succession and Barbie were tied for most nominations with nine each but Oppenheimer took home five wins, the most of the night, including Best Director and Best Motion Picture (Drama). The Boy and the Heron won the award for Best Animated Motion Picture and Poor Things won Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy). Best Original Song in a Motion Picture went to “What Was I Made For?” by brother-sister duo Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell.

Lily Gladstone at the 81st Golden Globes.

History was made at this year’s ceremony. Lily Gladstone became the first indigenous actor to win a Golden Globe award for her work in Killer of the Flower Moon. Her acceptance speech began in the Blackfeet language, an Algonquian language spoken by the Blackfoot people and her native tongue. Gladstone then translated and continued her speech in English: “This [award] is a historic one. It doesn’t belong to just me. I’m holding it right now. I’m holding it with all my beautiful sisters in the film at this table over here and my mother, Tantoo Cardinal, standing on all of your shoulders. Thank you.”

Despite having some of its most memorable moments be remembered for somewhat controversial reasons, the 81st Golden Globes left its mark in history and made sure that everyone will look forward to next year’s ceremony.