The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

From Fundraising to Fashion: The Met Gala

In early November, the theme for this year’s annual Met Gala was announced: “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion”. This highly anticipated night is one of the most talked about events in the fashion industry and the pop culture scene. 

Photo by Diane Picchiottino on Unsplash

The Met Gala, formally called the Costume Institute Gala or the Costume Institute Benefit, has been in place since 1948. It is an annual fundraising gala held for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City, taking place on the first Monday of May. Eleanor Lambert, a renowned fashion publicist, established the event. 

Lambert came up with the idea for the gala as a way to display and raise funds for the newly founded Costume Institute’s opening of its annual exhibit. In its beginning years, the Met Gala was mainly attended by New York’s high society and people in the fashion industry. However, when Diana Vreeland became a consultant to the Costume Institute in 1972, this is when the Gala began to evolve into the infamous and glamorous event it is today. During the Vreeland years, when the event became more celebrity-focused, the Gala was held at the Metropolitan for the first time, and Gala themes were introduced.

Photo by Felipe Simo on Unsplash

The exhibit that the gala displays have a theme it focuses on each year, such as last year’s “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty”, and this year’s “Sleeping Beauties: Reawkening Fashion.” Celebrities who attend are expected to dress to the nines in custom couture looks, vintage iconic pieces in fashion history, or anything that will give the fashion community something to feast their eyes on. 

This year’s theme, “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion”, can be interpreted in many different ways by guests and designers. Some may take the “sleeping” in the name literally, walking down the red carpet in pajama-inspired outfits styled with bed-head hair. It is expected that many will show up in ballgowns of every color and cut, perhaps taking inspiration from regency fashion from the “Sleeping Beauty” age. On the other hand, the “Reawakening Fashion” aspect will open the floor to more innovative and modern looks, perhaps some even taking some influences from AI and modern technology. 

Today, the event is widely regarded as one of the most prominent and exclusive social events in the world. It is also noted as being one of the biggest fundraising nights in New York City. When the Met Gala was first established, tickets cost $50, but the cost for a single guest has risen to $50 thousand in recent years. In 2013, $9 million was raised, compared to a record $17.4 million in 2022. With the extreme success and exclusivity of the event, it has gained immense publicity and press coverage. The intrigue of the general public, when it comes to this event, has turned it into the infamous event it is now. 

For 78 years, the Met Gala has solidified itself as a beacon of fashion and cultural significance. The themes of each event, carefully curated each year, capture the allure of the public as well as fashion industry eyes. The Met Gala stands as one of the biggest nights in the fashion industry and in the general public.