The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

A Close Call in Saratoga

A Close Call in Saratoga

This past month’s weather has been everything but sunny, and consequently, high wind speeds and heavy rain pours have created an unsafe environment in the local region. About two weeks ago in Saratoga, a heavy storm blew over an one-hundred-foot redwood onto a car with a girl inside. The tree was said to have fallen due to high wind pressures and hit the back half of the car. The girl was injured in the accident, but she is now safely returned from being treated at the hospital. On the NBC Bay Area News’s YouTube channel, the anchors express how the girl was trapped inside of the car, while being injured, and waited for first responders to arrive. First responders say that it was only a matter of feet that this accident could have gone totally negatively.

The redwood tree was said to have only hit the back of the yellow car, just missing the girl’s full body. When first responders got onto the site, they saw a frightening vision of an enormous tree laying on a yellow car with a girl trapped inside. The redwood was blocking the front doors and completely smashing the back doors, leaving the girl no room for escape. They used their equipment, like chainsaws and gloves, to the best of their ability to break her out of the wreckage safely. The goal was to preserve as much as possible. This resulted in the girl being saved and the tree being cut up.

Not only did the tree completely total the car, but it ripped into the side of a house as well, leaving it dismembered. The front porch of the house was torn off by the hinges as the tree fell on its side. The incident caused thousands of dollars of damages to both the car and the house. Unfortunately, this isn’t the end of the horrible weather in the Bay Area. The high wing speeds and heavy rainfall have continued since the incident and have been just slightly starting to clear up in these past few days