The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

Boeing’s Bad Start to 2024

Aircraft manufacturer Boeing has had a rough beginning to the new year. Boeing’s reputation has already been through the wringer. With the deadly crashes of its 737 Max 8 jets in 2018/2019 and the issues with the 787 Dreamliner nearly a decade ago, many people’s faith in the company has been significantly diminished.

In just the first week of 2024, a rear door plug flew off of a Boeing 737 Max 9 passenger jet while it was in mid-flight over Portland, Oregon. Phones and other items were sucked out of the gaping hole in the side of the plane, but none of the 171 passengers or 6 crew members suffered serious injuries. The plug was later found in the backyard of a high school science teacher. During a news conference following the incident, National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Chair Jennifer Homendy said, “We are very, very fortunate here that this didn’t end up in something more tragic… No one was seated in 26A and 26B, where that door plug is.”

Following the incident in Oregon, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) ordered a grounding of planes of the same model, affecting 171 planes. Alaska Airlines and United Airlines both reported finding loose parts on their 737 Max 9 jets, with United stating that preliminary inspections “found instances that appear to relate to installation issues in the door plug – for example, bolts that needed additional tightening.” On January 24th, the FAA lifted their order and allowed the formerly grounded planes to be put back into use following a rigorous inspection and maintenance. 

On February 6th, it was revealed in a preliminary report by the NTSB that four crucial bolts were missing from the door plug that had blown off just a month earlier. Boeing put out an announcement following the report noting that the company added a protocol to confirm that door plugs are installed with exact precision and inspected before being delivered to airlines.

The FAA’s audit of Boeing came out on March 4th and the statement slammed Boeing, claiming that there were multiple occasions where the company “failed to comply with manufacturing quality control requirements.” They cited a disconnect between those in senior management positions and others working on safety culture. Also included in the report, the FAA revealed that they had spoken with several employees who said that they doubted Boeing’s systems ensured open communication.

Passengers on the Alaska Airlines flight that lost its door plug were notified in a letter from the FBI in late March, informing them that they are “a possible victim of a crime.” This came as the Department of Justice announced that they would be opening an investigation into the flight. Some passengers are suing Boeing for $1 billion in damages and accuses the company of negligence for having ignored warning signs that could have prevented the incident. “We are pleased the DOJ is investigating. We want answers, accountability, and safer planes. Pressure from the DOJ should help.” said Mark Lindquist, an attorney representing 27 of the 171 passengers.

Dave Calhoun, Boeing’s CEO, announced he would be stepping down from his position at the end of 2024. This announcement was followed by many others in high offices at Boeing reporting their plans to leave. Chairman of the board Larry Kelner stated that he would not run for reelection and president and chief executive of Boeing’s commercial airplanes unit said that he would be leaving the company immediately. 

There are still 9 months left in 2024, so Boeing may be able to turn around their current bad reputation. However, that is only possible if they step up and make the changes necessary for safe air travel.