Student wins LumaCon contest for young artists

While comic conventions are common across the country and world, LumaCon is somewhat unique for the emphasis it places on young artists. In its third year, LumaCon is attracting established artists like Paige Braddock (who has done art for Peanuts) and new artists who are just discovering their passion. The logo contest this year, in which participants designed this year’s logo, encouraged students to submit their designs. Freshman Lani Wongkar, who worked on the logo as part of the graphic design class, was surprised to find that she had won.

“I definitely looked at retro comic book designs; I have a small collection of older comic books that I went and took a look at and gained inspiration for my logo…I didn’t really think about winning. I didn’t think it would happen,” said Wongkar.

Not only is the logo used for promotional purposes, but it will also be featured on t shirts and other merchandise at the event itself. The winning design was selected by professional artists as well as people at the main public library, and it seems that the contest will continue to be a part of LumaCon in future years. Librarian Mr. Libecap, who helped to organize the event along with librarians from Petaluma High School and the Sonoma County Library, remarks on the value of the contest.

“It gives younger artists a glimpse of what it might be like to be a professional artist. They can see in real life the amount of work it actually takes to be successful or to make that your career,” said Mr. Libecap.

While comic conventions are fun in general, LumaCon is noteworthy for the spotlight it lends to beginning artists

“It’s the only comic con in the world that invites professional comic book artists with school-age amature artists, and they are treated the same. Whether you are an Eisner award winning artist, which is like the Oscars of comic book illustration, or a nine year old who likes drawing their own comics, they can have a table at LumaCon and sit next to each other,” said Libecap.

LumaCon invites artists of all ages to participate and sell their work, and provides a fun comic book-based community for the city of Petaluma. To some students the local comic book convention is more than just a place to sell original products. Wongkar reflects on the importance of Lumacon in Petaluma and in her life.

“LumaCon is important to me because it was the first comic book thing I ever got into…I think it’s [LumaCon] really important for our community because it gives young artists a chance to have their work be exposed to the world,” said Wongkar.

LumaCon is scheduled for Saturday January 28 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Lucchesi Center, and will feature local artists, contests, and activities.