The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

“As Good As I Once Was” – Toby Keith Dead at 62

Photo by @tobykeith Instagram

Photo by @tobykeith Instagram

Famous country singer, Toby Keith, died on February 5th, 2024, at 62 years old. This information was found out early Tuesday morning of the tragedy during the night prior, yet people were grateful to know that he was surrounded by family and loved ones. This included, though was not limited to, his wife of 40 years, Tricia Lucus, and three children, Shelley Covel Rowland, Krystal Keith, and Steven Covel Keith.

Photo by @tobykeith Instagram

Keith was a music man, who dedicated his life to performing and recording for all of his fans. Some of his top hits include “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” from 1993, “As Good As I Once Was” from 2005, and “Red Solo Cup” from 2011. Keith brought joy to the world of music, with all of his songs being upbeat and his fans interacting with them in positive ways all the time. Using his guitar and voice, he made crowds cheer loudly during his performances, and he can still make people laugh and sing when he pops up on the radio.

Photo by @tobykeith Instagram
Photo by @tobykeith Instagram

Keith died from stomach cancer, which had first opened up about 18 months prior in June of 2022. In September of last year, Keith mentioned how the treatment was a “roller coaster” experience. According to an article on NBC News, before receiving the Country Icon Award at the People’s Choice Country Awards, Keith told E! News “You get good days and, you know, you’re up and down, up and down. It’s always 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 but I feel good today.” He always kept a bright smile and attitude through the rough times however, which many people were happy to see.

Despite being gone, Keith’s music will continue to play through speakers, earbuds, and headphones for country-loving fans. Many were sad, and still are, to see him leave, yet they still play his music in remembrance of the good man lost so soon. This guitarist will always be remembered for his time here and music in everyone’s heart.