National High School Counseling Week Is Here!

Photo by Grace Yarrow

Course sign ups, college tips, and career advice — Casa counselors are there for it all. For students of all grades, Casa Grande’s counseling team is a great resource for support. National School Counseling Week, celebrated from Feb. 6-10, recognizes staff across the country and highlights their impact on school success. The counseling office and College and Career Center have plenty of resources to offer, and each of our staff can help students with their unique needs. 

From schedule planning to mental health support, students can come to counseling for anything — they just have to visit. Mr. Sklove, head counselor at Casa Grande, emphasizes the various resources available in counseling. “We work with students in three main domains: academic, career, and social-emotional,” he explains, “which includes mental health. Students who are struggling either in school or out of school, we can help advise them.” Students can access more resources by making appointments at the counseling desk, or emailing their counselor directly. “We do a lot with a little,” says Mr. Sklove, “I would encourage students to just come in and say ‘hello,’ and we can take it from here.” Counselors want to make sure students don’t hesitate to reach out, become familiar with the staff and feel comfortable getting help with whatever issue they may have. 

As head counselor, Mr. Sklove’s favorite part of his job is the unpredictability of each and every day. “There’s no day that’s like the day before,” he acknowledges. Many Casa Grande students have known Mr. Sklove from eighth-grade workshops at Kenilworth, all the way to his senior post-grad plan presentations. Mr. Sklove has been an essential part of counseling and the Gaucho student experience, and is worthy of recognition during National School Counseling Week. 

Nestled next to the counseling office is Casa Grande’s hidden gem — the College and Career Center. Lined with colorful college banners and glossy brochures, the CCC is the perfect place to get support on post-grad plans, scholarship tips, and getting your first job. Ms. Alston, the outreach specialist at Casa Grande, Sonoma Mountain, and Carpe Diem HIgh School, is responsible for organizing the student support haven. “Everyone is welcome here,” she says, “students are welcome to stop by anytime. I can send our passes and am here most days.” The College and Career Center has been home to major milestones and collaborative student progress — students can grow immensely from taking advantage of the resources available. Seniors with different post-grad paths can all find support at the CCC, Ms. Alston can provide guidance for SRJC jumpstart students and trade school applicants. “Trade schools and industry programs have become popular, and we have connections that can help students. You can look at taking a gap year, whatever you want. Everyone has a place that might not be the traditional path.” The College and Career Center and Ms. Alston’s optimistic attitude makes Casa Grande Counseling stand out, and give students a leg up in achieving their goals. 

The CCC is also home to 10,000 Degrees at Casa Grande. 10,000 Degrees is a nonprofit designed to help first-generation and low-income students on their journey to college. Karoline Reynaga, the college access fellow at Casa Grande, is the primary contact for scholarship and support questions about the program. She emphasizes that 10,000 Degrees can best support students who may not have information about college available at home, “those who don’t have anyone to ask questions to can have some supporting them step-by-step.” Seniors especially have a lot to gain from paying a visit to Reynaga in the CCC “The program is 100% free, all you have to do is show up!” 

Students can often find her in the College and Career Center, guiding students through enrollment processes or financial aid applications. The 10,000 Degrees Scholarship, available to seniors and due on March 2nd, is unique because the award is recurring, meaning instead of a one-time award, the scholarship can be renewed over multiple years. “Our scholarship also provides a mentor, or someone to counsel you when you get to college,” says Reynaga, “that transition can be kind of scary, so it’s good to have someone who genuinely cares.” Reynaga graduated from Sonoma State University with a degree in sociology, and is on track to become a counselor herself. “I wanted to give back to my community, and help in college readiness.” Karoline’s support in the CCC is key for any senior who is interested in the next steps after graduation, and answering questions that they might be hesitant to ask.

This National School Counseling Week, Gauchos can recognize the talented staff and ample resources at their school. Whether it be questions on college applications, work permits, or managing stress, Casa counselors can lend a hand. The best way to take advantage of all counseling has to offer is to visit, make an appointment, and become familiar with the resources. Places like the College and Career Center, partnerships with nonprofits like 10,000 Degrees, and Casa Grande’s caring team of counselors gives our campus a lot to be thankful for. Students, especially seniors, can receive support by reaching out to their counselors and staying involved with College and Career news.