The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Comeback of a Lifetime: Damar Hamlin’s Return

Professional football safety Damar Hamlin returned to Paycor Stadium on November 5, the same stadium where just 10 months earlier he sustained an injury that nearly cost him his life. The player suffered from cardiac arrest on the field during the game. Now, Hamlin has made an inspiring comeback and has made it his goal to give back to the community that showed him support.

The game between the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals was an important one since it had major implications for both teams in the playoffs, and more than 23 million people tuned into the match. This also means that all those people watched Hamlin collapse on the field from a heart attack. After he had been brought out of the stadium via ambulance, it was announced that the game would be suspended.

At the time of the injury, doctors speculated that commotio cordis was the cause of his cardiac arrest. This was later confirmed by Hamlin himself during an interview. Commotio cordis is a rare heart condition that occurs when an object, typically small and hard like a hockey puck, hits the chest right where the heart is during a specific moment of a heartbeat.

Aid and support came flooding in for Hamlin and his family in the following days. His charity, Chasing M’s, surpassed their goal of $2,500 and raised more than $9 million. All 32 NFL teams changed their social media logos to a picture of the safety’s jersey with the words “Pray for Damar.” Several locations, such as Niagra Falls and Downtown Cincinnati, were lit blue. During games the following week, a moment of silence was held in honor of Hamlin.

The Bills dedicated their home game against the Patriots to the safety. Prior to the game, the team’s medical personnel that saved Hamlin’s life were honored for their actions. The first play of the game was returned by Nyheim Hines for a touchdown and the stadium went wild, knowing just how meaningful this moment was. Hamlin was awake and watching the game as well. “When the opening kickoff was run back, he jumped up and down, got out of his chair – set, I think, every alarm off in the ICU in the process,” Dr. Timothy Pritts, one of Hamlin’s main doctors at UC Health, said in a statement.

Damar has been honored several times since his injury. He received the 2023 George Halas Award, which is given to an NFL player, coach, or staff member who has overcome significant adversity. At the ESPY awards ceremony, he presented the Pat Tillman Award to the Buffalo Bills medical training staff.

Hamlin has decided to give back by advocating for awareness of youth health. Chasing M’s was originally meant to provide toys to a daycare center in McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, where he grew up but now the money has been devoted to another cause. “In the months ahead, I’ll be sharing updates about programs, partnerships, and events that will encourage young people to live their dreams, raise awareness of sudden cardiac arrest and inspire others who face adversity,” Hamlin said in a statement on the Chasing M’s website.

During his return to Cincinnati, Hamlin had dinner with the doctors that helped his recovery process. He later surprised them with a scholarship for the young people of the city which was made in their names. Following the Bills’ 24-18 loss to the Bengals in which he did not play, Hamlin spent time on the field after the game had concluded. He stood at midfield for about 15 minutes, kneeling on the logo and hanging his head. “Tonight was everything for me.. ya’ll don’t know the half of it,” he stated in response to a video of him on X. “Trust me.”

Hamlin made a return to defensive snaps during a Monday Night Football game against the Denver Broncos. Though his time on the field was short, he made a crucial play. Hamlin made a tackle in-bounds which caused the clock to keep running, forcing the opposing team to use a timeout. Despite being overshadowed by his team’s loss, seeing him back and playing the game was a welcome sight for football fans across the country.