The student news site of Casa Grande High School

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

The Casa Revista

And Then There Were Two: Super Bowl LVIII Preview

After 18 weeks of fierce competition between 32 teams, the fight for the 2024 Lombardi trophy has been narrowed down to two: the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers. Super Bowl LVIII will be held at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada on February 11. It is slated to be the most expensive Super Bowl to ever take place, with the average ticket costing $8,600, though the teams going toe-to-toe will be sure to make the game worth the money.

The Chiefs are reigning champs, making their return to the Super Bowl after winning last year’s match. Having appeared in 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls, they are more than ready to take on another opponent. The team easily dealt with the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Championship, defeating them 17-10. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes now leads them to the possibility of winning two Super Bowls in a row, putting themselves on the short list of teams that have achieved this accomplishment. 

In the NFC Championship, the 49ers made an electric comeback against the Detroit Lions 34-31 after being down by 17 during halftime. The group has proved resilient, bouncing back from rough patches during the regular season like it was nothing. With stars like running back Christian McCafferey and wide receiver Deebo Samuel, the team hopes to put an end to the growing Chiefs dynasty and begin building their own.

This is not the first time these foes have met. In 2020, the Chiefs defeated the 49ers 31-20 to come out victorious. The game itself was a battle, as Mahomes rallied his team to score 21 points in the 4th quarter alone. Four years later, San Francisco aims to come out on top and rewrite history while Kansas City plans for an easy repeat of their last matchup.

Students at Casa gave their input as to who they believe will take home the win. With one team representing the Bay Area, many want San Francisco to triumph. “I think that the 49ers are gonna win with a close score against the Chiefs.” said senior Diego Aguilar Prado. Junior Katelyn Fiorenza disagreed, stating, “Personally, I think the Chiefs are going to win. They’re just too good.” 

However, the Super Bowl is not just about the match. Many people watch just for the famously expensive ads or the iconic halftime performance. This year’s halftime show features pop singer Usher taking center stage, who is known for his hits like “Yeah!” and “U Got It Bad”. As for the ads, it was revealed that the average cost for just a 30-second ad spot was $7 million. The cause of this is that these ads will reach more people than a regular program so companies vie for whatever ad space they can have.

The 49ers are currently favored to win, with the Chiefs going into a rare game where they will be the underdogs. Both teams were extremely successful during the regular season, so there is no doubt that this competition will come down to the very last play.