Campus Safety: Need-to-Know Tips and Advice

Photo by Owen Davis

There has been a lot of stress and fear over the safety of Casa Grande and its community as of late. With all these recent events, students may be concerned and may begin to wonder about their own safety. This is why this is a good time to review some steps you can take to feel safe at Casa Grande. 

A good thing to do is to know your surroundings. It can be extremely helpful if you know where all the exits to a building or classroom are in case of an emergency. Memorizing the layout of the campus will also be useful; this way you, can know where you can exit campus if needed, or where to go if you need help. 

Paying attention to safety procedures is very crucial. Knowing what to do in the case of an emergency can help you get to safety and out of harm’s way as quickly as possible. Listening carefully to instructions from your teachers or campus supervisors is also very important to be safe.

Making sure you have a fully charged phone or Chromebook will also be beneficial in unsafe situations. This way, you can contact people at all times and you can feel safer in general. For example, if you have your phone you can easily contact people for help. If more people are contacted in an emergency, the situation will be resolved quicker and more efficiently leading to safety for everyone. However, it should be noted that many other students will have the exact same idea, causing the cellular system to become overloaded. It’s vital that during emergencies, you refrain from calling people unless it is 911 to initially report an incident, or you are sending a quick text message to your family verifying your safety at the present moment.

In these times, school safety is in question with recent events taking place, but what we can do is be prepared for emergencies, and report on brewing arguments before they lead to a fight taking place. School safety is important to know and understand so that it can lead to your safety and the safety of the others around you.